Friday, April 13, 2007

Opening the Pandora Box

On Jan 31, 2007, I was scheduled to depart from Frankfurt Airport, Germany by noon local time. Everything seemed to be fine. Flight MH 005 called upon all passengers to embark. So I happily marched to the aircraft tunnel and into the 777 plane. I heard 777's size is in between 747 and 737. Anyway, I can see from the outside in the terminal building that the plane do look old despite 777's are supposed to be newer. Anyway, cosmetics ain't matter, I told myself. Or so I think...

The captain announced for passengers to put on our safety belts and bring our seats to 90 degrees. Cabin crew were even told to be seated. The plane was about to be reversed by the 'forklifter' or whatever you wanna call it. We were ready for take off. But strangely, we waited..and waited..and waited as time passed by...

20 mins..30 mins..45 mins..and by 1 hour we still did not take off, there must be something really wrong. 1 hour plus..clock is ticking, passengers are still in the cabin, some of us already got frustrated. Dehydration prevailed. We were still in the dark. Captain told us there were some technical problems. It was only then when he told us we needed to wait longer did the cabin crew start serving drinks to quench our thirst. Suddenly I felt like I was a hostage trapped in a plane.

By 1.45pm or so..the pilot announced that we really couldn't take off as one of the fuel tanks leaked and luckily the engineer checked it out and detected the leak just before take off. So you people can imagine if the airplane really took off...

This fuel leak issue is not something which should be swept under the carpet. And this is the purpose I am going public and online with it. It surely pissed me off when MAS didn't reply my email. But then again, should any explosion happened as a result of the fuel leak, I guess I wont be sitting here blogging today. More to come!

No comments: